Hand in your sheets at the front of the class. There will be no essay portion, but this quiz will weigh heavily on your final grades. The answers are posted below. Good luck and welcome back to school.
1. couchant- adj. [kou-chuh nt]
def: Lying down; Crouching.
2. galumph- v. [guh-luhmf]
def: To move along heavily and clumsily.
3. pasquinade- n. [pas-kwuh-neyd]
def: A satire or lampoon, esp. one posted in a public place.
4. otiose- adj. [oh-shee-ohs]
def: Superfluous or useless.
5. coxcomb- n. [koks-kohm]
def: A conceited, foolish dandy; A pretentious fop.
6. thaumaturgy- n. [thaw-muh-tur-jee]
def: The performing of miracles or magic.
7. animadversion- n. [an-uh-mad-vur-zhuh n]
def: Strong criticism.
8. frowzy- adj. [frou-zee]
def: Dirty and untidy.
9. pap- n. [pap]
def: Material lacking real substance or value.
10. raillery- n. [rey-luh-ree]
def: Good-humored ridicule; Banter.