Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Great Mid to Late Twenties Dilemma

I had to break from my convalescence in order to share with all my fellow mid-to-late twentysomethings "Happy Birthday, You Bastard," John Swansburg's excellent and hilarious article about going to birthday parties in that weird period between post-collegiate life and true adulthood (ie mortgages, kids, etc). I can't even articulate how great it was for a cheap bastard like me to read an article like this. This passage in particular killed me:

Early in the evening, I noticed Simon's friend Justin, a legendarily frugal graduate student, engage our waiter in an extended colloquy. After dinner, I sidled up to Justin to complain about the exorbitant bill, knowing my outrage would fall on sympathetic ears. Instead, he flashed a wicked grin and revealed that he had "seceded from the check, Jefferson Davis-style." That is, having realized things were getting out of hand, he had worked out an understanding with the waiter whereby he would order on a separate tab that would include only his appetizer, entrée, and beverages. It was a brilliant stroke, though it required Justin's unabashed cheapskatedness, which, like his taste in metaphor, is rare indeed.


Also, don't forget than another NBA season is sneaking up on us in it's typically under-the-radar fashion. I know it's pretty much only the diehards that even follow the season until January or so, but this is nevertheless big news for me. Would be bigger, I guess, were I not still bearing the scars of their defeat to the Celtics last June and kind of despondent over the fact that the team that failed to win the title last year is back basically entirely unchanged.

That being said, how can I not be excited about Amir Johnson and Rodney Stuckey. They're the future, peeps!

No comments: