Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Dip Into the Vault

Oh me, oh my: Thanks to a tip from the hilarious (if erratically updated) Mickey Tettleton Memorial Overpass, it turns out that you can now read every back issue of Sports Illustrated in their new section called "The Vault."

I'm going to assume that everyone out there is exactly as enthused about this as I am. We all made our dad's save up their back issues of Sports Illustrated (going back years and years) so that we could read them when we came to visit, right? We all can recall with perfect clarity the exact images and texts of certain covers dating back twenty years, right? And, finally, we all know that the following cover is the greatest in the history of the magazine, yes?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is apropos of nothing, but I had a dream about Mickey Tettleton last night. I was walking with him and a crowd of people through a pastoral town. He was wearing his O's uniform, and I confessed to him that he was my favorite player when I was nine. I then discovered that I was actually wearing a replica t-shirt jersey of his, although the number on it was '9', and I'm pretty sure that his number wasn't 9 in real life. Dream ends!

Josh said...

Hmm, preliminary "google image" research wouldn't provide me with his number, so I'll give up and assume it was 9.

What I loved about Tettleton, besides his place in the coveted Tettleton-Fielder-Deer 3-4-5 lineup of the 1993 Tigers, was his batting stance, which always seemed like the laziest, most low-energy stance of all time. Not only did he stand completely upright, he would barely raise his bat above his midsection. Its still amazing to me that we was able to generate so much power.

Megan said...

He was number 14.

Bryan said...

The batting stances of Tettleton, Cecil Fielder, and Tony Phillips helped me get through early 90s Tigers baseball.