Monday, March 3, 2008

The Format War Loser


If you want to get an idea of my particular brand of cheapness, check out Josh Lewin's very funny article on Slate about why he purchased an HD DVD player over a Blue Ray last year. Basically, he suffers from the same problem I do: Wanting to acquire the hipness associated with being an "early adopter" without actually paying the money or doing the research that being an early adopter requires.

It also raises the important question over whether it's better to be completely cheap and then only get the best stuff when you do spend your money, or just sort of cheap and always settling for second best merchandise. It's probably better to be neither if you can get away with it (which I personally can't, due to some sort of brain malfunction that makes me a complete miser), but if you have to be one, I think the former is probably the way to go.

Also, on an unrelated note, check out Todd's post on Well Respected Blog regarding some excellent cartoon websites. The Garfield Minus Garfield site in particular is so inspired I almost passed out the first time I went there.

No comments: